Total Pageviews

Wednesday 25 January 2012

Project Nestbox Latest and "Saving Tallulah

Latest News

24 January 2012

My top 10 birds


I have not been well the past two days so have not been out and about. I have even resisted working in my workshop. Anyway thought I would share my top ten bird species with you.

   redoo1     red002

                                     Undisputed Champion in my eyes The Red Kite

1. Red Kite (stunning bird and has that little bit of welshness)
2. Bullfinch
3. Redstart
4. Pied Flycatcher
5. Coal tit
5. Marsh tit
6. House Martin
7. Dipper
8. Grey Wagtail
9. Nuthatch
10. Goldfinch

        bull001      bull002

                                           Above my second favourite bird The Bullfinch


Email me your top ten and I will display it on my website.

22 January 2012

"Saving Tallulah"

Slightly astray from the topic of nesting birds, and a story that needed to be told, and given as much exposure, to as many people as possible. After a few hours erecting 20 nest boxes I returned to my car which was parked at Coed-y-cando Farm and was immediately drawn to a small gathering of people which included Richard  and Tracey the farm owners. What I witnessed next was truly shocking to say the least. Twenty Five year old Hayley Foulks who lives in Pontypool was probably in the wrong place at the wrong time two weeks ago when she unfortunately came across this lovely little female horse which was left starving to death on the side of a mountain road. The Filly was in such a poor condition she kept collapsing whilst attempting to walk and it took several people to get her up and onto a horse box.

                           2387a

                                   Above Tallulah unfortunately all skin and bone

                       
Tallulah is one of the lucky animals who has been very fortunate to be saved by a special compassionate person like Hayley Foulks. Tracey Iles who owns Coed-y-cando Farm has agreed to allow Tallulah to recover from the extremely poor condition that she is currently in by housing her at one of her stables at Coed-y-cando Farm. Vets have assessed her and have basically given her a 50-50 chance of survival. Special care and attention is now needed as well as good old TLC from Hayley and Tracey.

  2380   2388

                    Above Hayley and Tallulah                           Above Tallulah happy in her new home

Tallulah is certainly a fighter and what struck me when I was introduced to her was how friendly she was with humans even though she had been neglected and almost left for dead. Well it is very reassuring to know that Tracey and Richard of Coed-y-cando Farm and the local equestrian family have all rallied around together to help fund the vets fees, food and shelter that have been provided for this beautiful little Filly.

           2388b                         2394

                      Above Tallulah in safe hands                                           Me with Tallulah

This sad story is all two familiar when it involves animals and thank god we have compassionate people like Tracey, Richard and Hayley. This particular story, I hope will end with a happy ending, and why shouldn`t it when you have people who care and will put themselves out to protect and care for those that are vunerable. Today I have witnessed total compassion by people who are few and far between and for that they have my utmost respect.

   2390  2393

                                                           Above Ross Legalloudec and Tallulah

Tallulah`s story becomes even more plausible, because 10 year old Ross Legalloudec from Malpas got to hear about Tallulah`s story and he decided to take action himself. This 10 year old lad actually sold his Nintendo wi to raise money for Tallulah`s cause. Ross also donated £20 of his christmas money that he had left over which for me was an amazing gesture. If you would like or if you know someone who is in a position to help out with Tallulah`s cause then please do not hesitate to contact me at richyevs@btinternet.com. Tracey Iles has set up a facebook page for people to donate what they can. As soon as I get the facebook page details I will advertise the address on here.

                       2379

                               Hayley Foulks (no relation to Guy) with her new Filly Tallulah

I will leave you with this lovely image of Tullalah and her new owner Hayley Foulks and another plea for compassionate animal lovers out there who are possibly in a position to help out with this very worthwhile cause.

Coed-y-cando Farm, NewInn

I was up and about reasonably early this morning due to last evening`s advance planning schedule. The plan was to erect 20 nest boxes in Coed-y-cando Farm, woods but also erect a few around the farm itself. I have an Owl box in one of the barns but to date no Owls have shown any interest in the nest box. At the front of the Farm I have a feeding station set up and the regular daily visitors include the Farm, House Sparrow Colony, so with this in mind I have erected a few more Sparrow boxes and also a 3 hole colony box. I think it is important to keep this particular colony fed and housed for as long as possible due to the well documented problems with declining House Sparrow numbers. I would say the Coed-y-cando Farm colony have at least 10-15 males and probably slightly more females, so reasonably healthy numbers. It is my aim, and I have the full backing of the farm owners Richard and Tracey to preserve this colony and attempt to increase its numbers by feeding and erecting new nest boxes.

                          owlbox

                           Above is a Tawny Owl Box erect at Coed-y-cando Farm


        colony box       colony2

                                Above are 2 photographs of my House Sparrow Colony nest box

           2386finbox

      Above single nest box attached to farm building     and above right assembly line 355


No comments:

Post a Comment